Sunday, September 16, 2007

24 weeks

Nearing the final trimester! I'm saying I'm six months because we're not going until the 40 week mark so...Here we are. I'm looking forward to this next stage because I'm looking forward to having baby here. We bought a monitor that allows both mom and dad to listen to baby's heartbeats and kicks. Heartbeats not easy to find--kicks no problem.

Here are some stats. We took a photo tonight too so we'll add that as well.


Dates and numbers:
There are 110 days until my due date on January 06, 2008.
I am 170 days pregnant.
I am 5.6 months pregnant.
I am in my 6th month of pregnancy. (huh?)
My 1st trimester: April 01, 2007 to June 30, 2007. (0 - 12 weeks)
My 2nd trimester: July 01, 2007 to October 13, 2007. (13 - 27 weeks)
My 3rd trimester: October 14, 2007 to January 06, 2008. (28 - 40 weeks)
This week my baby's crown-to-rump length is around 8.4 inches and my baby will weigh approximately 1.2 pounds. Although baby weighs a little over a pound at this point, my growing baby is still tiny. My uterus can easily be felt 1.5 to 2 inches above my bellybutton. The fetus does not appear to have much room in the uterus anymore, but as my pregnancy progresses, space gets much tighter!

Because my uterus is expanding and putting a great amount of pressure on my abdomen, I might get stretch marks. (Been there done that!) My weight gain may also be taking a toll on my body at this point (YEP!). Many pregnant women experience backaches, bladder problems, sore feet and fatigue that affect their daily routines. I might also have some nasal stuffiness or nosebleeds (yes).

My baby's face is basically complete now. The fetus's eyes are close together on the front of his/her face and they are still shut. My baby's ears have moved into their final position on the sides of his/her head. Where they are now is where they will be when my baby is born! Hair will continue to grow on his/her scalp and his/her eyelashes are well developed. Most of my baby's features look the same as they will at birth. Because my growing baby is getting plumper, he/she no longer has room in my tummy to do cartwheels and somersaults.




I sometimes get a stitch-like pain in your side from time to time. It's simply the muscles of the uterus stretching. The unborn child is covered with a fine, downy hair called lanugo. Its tender skin is protected by a waxy substance called vernix. Some of this substance may still be on the child's skin at birth at which time it will be quickly absorbed.

The child practices breathing by inhaling (up to a liter/day) amnionic fluid into developing lungs.

1 comment:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

drum roll for the photo- ttrtrtrtrtrtrtt ;)