Thursday, December 27, 2007

She's here


I didn’t know that labour could be this way. Everything went so much better this time. Being continuously on a monitor calmed me significantly. People came to visit ahead of time in the hospital which helped me get my mind off the waiting. While we had to wait many hours (well over 24) I had a peace. As true labour began it went quickly. I had the sensation to push this time and could express that. I was tired but not exhausted. As she crowned and came out there was a burp and a cry. There was not an eerie silence. I felt relieved and lighter. The tears of joyous crying were uncontrollable. They placed her vernix covered body on mine and I was in another place. She is beautiful. I would be taking her home.

It didn’t seem long afterwards that the neonatal nurse practitioner took her down to NICU to help get her blood sugars under control…but not before we introduced her to our family as Imogen Grace Wallace, weighing 8 pounds and measuring 55 cm--what joy. My healing has been so much better this time around as well. Physically and emotionally I know that birthing a baby and life shortly after can be wonderful. Yes, sleep deprivation and worry are a part of the afterwards but I never knew that I could feel so good. Imogen certainly has contributed to that. And while nothing was as painful as losing and giving birth to Gordon he helped me in this labour. My body knew the work that it must do. I also knew that emotionally I could manage if I had done this before in the worst circumstances. And then of course there were the prayers. I do not even know the number or all the individuals who were praying but I know that we were covered. God was certainly present. There were many in attendance in that birthing room.

Her name? Yes there is a singer with that name. Yes, there is a Shakespearean reference to it. Years ago when we saw that name we immediately liked it. When we looked it up there were two meanings: maiden and made/ created in the image or likeness of. I have always liked the reminder that we were made in God’s image. Psalm 139 is a favourite as well. Grace: God’s favour. And so her name means In the image or likeness of God’s favour. We think that’s pretty perfect. Pronunciation: IM-OH-JEN (without dwelling or emphasizing the “O” too long. John refers to the O sound as more of an AW sound).

This Christmas we feel truly blessed. We are surrounded by our family. We are immersed in love. We have been given Imogen and for her we will always be grateful.

2 comments:

GMS said...

Your loving testimony brought tears to my eyes. Tears of joy and empathy and remembrance.

Peace and Love to you and your precious Imogen.

Kimberley said...

Jenn, I am so happy for you and John. Imogen will certainly be a cherished child.

And thank you for clearing up how you pronounce her name. My mother said thought that it might be pronounced Eem - oh - gene. I guess you and I say it the French way!

I can't wait to meet her one day!