Sunday, August 26, 2007

21 weeks

Well I'm definitely feeling tighter/stretched belly-wise. It always is apparent quickly that I'm indeed pregnant with the way I carry. I actually prefer this to having people guess. So next week is another appointment with my obstetrician on the 7th and students will be entering kindergarten on the 4th. Looking forward to both.

Dates and numbers:
There are 132 days until my due date on January 06, 2008.
I am 148 days pregnant.
I am 4.9 months pregnant.
I am in my 5th month of pregnancy. (huh?)
My 1st trimester: April 01, 2007 to June 30, 2007. (0 - 12 weeks)
My 2nd trimester: July 01, 2007 to October 13, 2007. (13 - 27 weeks)
My 3rd trimester: October 14, 2007 to January 06, 2008. (28 - 40 weeks)
My baby's blood circulation is completely functional. The umbilical cord system continues to grow and thicken as blood travels with considerable force through the body to nurture the baby. The placenta is now almost equal in size to the baby.

My baby will be getting much larger during the second half of my pregnancy. My baby's crown-to-rump length at this time is 7.2 inches and s/he weighs approximately 10.5 ounces. My growing baby is about the size of a large banana. I should be able to feel my uterus about a half of an inch above my navel. My weight gain so far will be around 10 to 15 pounds.

As my baby begins to lay down more fat, my weight will also increase. During the next 10 weeks, I will gain about half of the total gain for my entire pregnancy. Strangers can now tell that I am pregnant! (For sure or they're not looking!) I might notice an increase in appetite because I need 500 more calories a day to support my charged up metabolism. It is best to avoid processed foods or foods high in fat, calories or sugar. Some women also get strong cravings for foods.

My baby's different organs and systems are maturing. The fetal digestive system is functioning in a simple way and my baby can swallow amniotic fluid. After my baby swallows the amniotic fluid, s/he is able to absorb water and sugars from the fluid and then the waste is passed as far as the large bowel. My baby swallows the amniotic fluid in order to prepare for life outside of the womb. Some babies consume as much as 17 ounces of amniotic fluid in a 24-hour period. My baby already has a high number of red blood cells and the white blood cells are beginning to be produced. Taste buds are being formed on my baby's tongue this week also.