Sunday, November 25, 2007

34 weeks--3 weeks to go!

Well another week down. Not much further now. I need to get through this week of work and then I think I'll enjoy the wait more.

There are 41 days until my due date on January 06, 2008.
I am 239 days pregnant.
I am 7.8 months pregnant.
I am in my 8th month of pregnancy. (huh?)
My 1st trimester: April 01, 2007 to June 30, 2007. (0 - 12 weeks)
My 2nd trimester: July 01, 2007 to October 13, 2007. (13 - 27 weeks)
My 3rd trimester: October 14, 2007 to January 06, 2008. (28 - 40 weeks)
My baby's crown-to-rump length this week is approximately 12.8 inches and the total length is around 19.8 inches at this time. My baby now weighs almost 5 pounds (on Thursday I was told 5 lbs. 11oz). From my bellybutton, it is about 5.6 inches to the top of my uterus. Measurements of my uterus vary from woman to woman. I should not worry if I do not measure the exact same as my pregnancy friends or family members as long as I am growing appropriately. When my uterus grows and gets larger at an appropriate rate, it shows that my baby is growing well inside of my uterus.

Growth of the womb during pregnancyBraxton-Hicks contractions are going to get stronger and more frequent within the next few weeks. Braxton-Hicks contractions feel like a tightening at the top of your uterus that spreads down and then relaxes. Many women mistake Braxton-Hicks contractions for true labor contractions, but this is rarely the case. Braxton-Hicks contractions will diminish if I get up and walk around and they should not be painful.

My baby's hair continues to get longer and thicker. My baby's hair color probably is not going to be the same color from birth onwards, so yI should expect it to change in colour. My baby is shedding most of lanugo, but the amount of vernix caseosa is increasing. My baby is taking calcium from me to lay down lots of bone.

If I were to deliver my baby now, it would probably be called a pre-term infant instead of premature. The only difference is in the maturity, particularly lung maturity. A pre-term baby is less likely to need intensive care because his/her lungs have developed. Doctors can test lung maturity with an amniocentesis that checks levels of surfactant.

The baby now rests on my uterus and is no longer floating.

Fingernails now reach over the finger tips and the baby can scratch him/herself.

1 comment:

Ian said...

Diane (one of the interpreters for the deaf) at work keeps asking about how you are doing and says that she faithfully keeps you and the baby in her prayers every day.