Sunday, June 24, 2007

12 weeks

Dates and numbers:
There are 195 days until my due date on January 06, 2008.
I am 85 days pregnant.
I am 2.8 months pregnant.
I am in my 3rd month of pregnancy. (huh?)
My 1st trimester: April 01, 2007 to June 30, 2007. (0 - 12 weeks)
My 2nd trimester: July 01, 2007 to October 13, 2007. (13 - 27 weeks)
My 3rd trimester: October 14, 2007 to January 06, 2008. (28 - 40 weeks)
My baby's crown-to-rump length is almost 2.5 inches and he/she now weighs between 8 and 14 grams! In just three weeks, my baby's size has more than doubled and begins to look a lot more human. Even though I won't be able to feel my baby moving at this time, I can stimulate him/her and baby will squint, open baby's mouth and move fingers or toes.

By the end of this week, my uterus is too large to remain completely in my pelvis. I might be able to feel my uterus above my pubic bone. The uterus will continue to grow throughout my pregnancy and will return to its usual size within a few weeks after delivery. Before pregnancy, the uterus is almost solid and holds less than 0.3 ounces. During pregnancy, my uterus will become a thin-walled, muscular container that will hold the fetus, amniotic fluid and placenta. Before pregnancy, the uterus weighs approximately 2.5 ounces and when my baby is born, it will weigh almost 40 ounces!

Because most of the structures are already formed at this point, few will be formed after this time. The structures will continue to grow and develop throughout the remainder of my pregnancy. My baby's skeletal system now has centers if bone formation in most of the bones. The digestive system is capable of making contractions that push food through the bowels and it is also able to absorb sugar. The pituitary gland beginning to make hormones. I will probably be able to hear my baby's heartbeat with a doppler at this time!

No comments: