Tuesday, July 3, 2007

More Symptoms at 13 weeks


Nosebleeds and pimples? Sometimes pregnancy can make you feel like a kid...needing naps. (I also had trouble keeping down breakfast Friday). Still the obstetrician appointment on the 29th went well. Baby's hearbeat was galloping at 162 beats per minute on the Doppler. We had to wait over an hour to meet with my doc and then hear the heart, but it was worth the wait! More waiting to do now. Next appointment...August 10th.


This is the last week of my first trimester and my baby weighs 14 to 20 grams. The crown-to-rump length of my growing baby is 2.6 to 3.1 inches. My baby is now about the size of a peach. Fetal growth is amazing from now through about the 24th week of pregnancy.

At this point of my pregnancy, there is a steady flow of pregnancy hormones in my bloodstream. There is a milky membrane that surrounds my baby. It is pierced by the umbilical cord and is made up of two layers, which are fused together. My placenta provides most of the nutrients and oxygen that my baby needs. By this week, the placenta is well formed and ready to take over hormone manufacture from my ovaries. The placenta will produce progesterone and estriol. These hormones will be crucial in the maintenance of my pregnancy. Tissue that will form my baby's bones is being laid down, especially around the head and limbs. The nose and chin are becoming more prominent. My baby's eyelids meet and fuse together and they will not open again for nearly four months. The eyes started out on the side of my baby's head and they are now moving closer together on the face. The ears come to lie in their normal position on the sides of the head. If examined outside of the womb, I will be able to distinguish male from female at this time.

The sockets for all twenty teeth are formed in the gums, and vocal cords are beginning to form.

No comments: