Monday, October 29, 2007

30 weeks

Dates and numbers:
There are 68 days until my due date on January 06, 2008.
I am 212 days pregnant.
I am 7 months pregnant.
I am in my 7th month of pregnancy. (huh?)
My 1st trimester: April 01, 2007 to June 30, 2007. (0 - 12 weeks)
My 2nd trimester: July 01, 2007 to October 13, 2007. (13 - 27 weeks)
My 3rd trimester: October 14, 2007 to January 06, 2008. (28 - 40 weeks)
I may feel as if I have been pregnant forever at this point. (No kidding!) It might be hard to imagine being pregnant for another ten weeks (or seven!), but my baby still has a lot of growing and developing to do! By this time, my baby's crown-to-rump length is a little over 10.8 inches and the total length of my baby is about 17 inches! My baby weighs about 3 pounds now (I was told on Friday 3lbs 70z.) My uterus can be felt about 4 inches above my bellybutton. My uterus, baby, placenta and the amount of fluid will get larger over the next ten weeks. I should be gaining about a pound a week at this time. (Ok, but not the baby right?!)

Because I am getting larger, I am probably becoming slower and clumsier (It's true). I should try to be careful to avoid dangerous falls. Good posture when sitting and standing can help me feel better during my pregnancy. I also should be rolling over on my side to get up after lying down because my muscles have stretched to accomodate my growing uterus.

Even though my baby is cushioned by the amniotic fluid, s/he can feel and respond to pain. My baby now does `practice breathing` to get ready for life outside of my womb. If I have an ultrasound at this time, I will be able to see this (it looked like baby was making sucking motions). If my baby swallows amniotic fluid down the wrong passage, s/he will still get hiccups that are noticeable by me. If my baby were born at this time, s/he would be able to keep her/himself warm.

The skin begins to smoothen as fat deposits accumulate underneath. The fat insulates and is an energy source.

My baby develops reflexes and the skin is very sensitive.

The brain is fully formed, and the child can feel pain. the baby may even suck his/her thumb. The eyelids now cover the eyes, and will remain shut until the seventh month to protect the delicate optical nerve fibers.

So 7 weeks to go--49 days.

No comments: